Tuesday, February 05, 2008

some things.

My significant other recently showed me a website filled with awesome geeky gadgets. Of course he wanted everything, but settled on an awesomely geeky new watch and two [one for each of us] of a keyring gadget called TV-B-Gone. They arrived via DHL this afternoon and I find myself wanting to go places with annoyingly yammering TVs just so I can turn them off.


TV is bad, mkay?

Now, to be completely honest, I do pick and choose to watch some programs, some of which are total garbage [ANTM, Project Runway, Scrubs, just to name a few]. However, I do understand the significance of being bombarded by advertisements nonstop and when I am waiting in line at the supermarket and I don't need to space out and watch the constant CNN scrawl and advertisements for products laced with carcinogens and preservatives because our government can't even be bothered to make sure our food, beverage, and body products aren't poisoning us.

Sorry, I got off track.


Basically, TV is a mind numbing distraction and I don't like that they are practically every where you go, filling you with unnecessary fear and misinformation. Along with iPods and other self-isolation devices like them, it discourages interaction with your fellow humans, and it discourages people from reading or calmly just waiting.


When did it become so difficult to just wait anyway?

I was at the post office mailing out some orders the other day and this woman was waiting to mail two letters a few people behind me. She could have easily walked twenty feet over to the automated postage machines, but instead she huffed and puffed in line, trying to get everyone around her angry and feeling as impatient and as unhappy as she was because the line was not moving fast enough. She let out a huge sigh and muttered under her breath angrily because the postal employee paused to give a little boy a junior postmaster sticker before he left with his mother. I wanted to say something to her, but instead I just shook my head. People don't know how to act any more, or to show common decency and patience when in public and it is disheartening to see.


A week or so ago I was waiting to use an ATM at the convenience store by my apartment, and a man practically mowed me over as he walked by me. He didn't even notice me being there because he was completely involved in himself and what he was going to buy. He didn't say he was sorry or even acknowledge me, because he didn't even notice! The cashier noticed and scolded the man for his rudeness. The man was suprised and said he didn't know he almost knocked me over and we both told him to pay attention to where he is propelling his body. It seems to me that many people are not very aware, and this is very much because of things like television and advertising. When we try to block it all out, we often block out everything else.

Think about that.

And think about Plastic Bags !!!


Are you still using plastic bags at the grocery store instead of bringing your own? Even the Plain Dealer's own Connie Schultz is [finally] jumping on the bandwagon of byo-bagging it. Yay! Say it loud and proud, sister. I encourage everyone to read the article and bring your own! She mentions many reasons to do so, including this one :


Plastic bags don't biodegrade. Instead, they break down into toxic bits that contaminate soil and waterways and enter the "food web" when animals eat them.


Need some? Jayne makes them. I got a pretty large black reuseable bag when I bought a pair of shoes the other day. It went right into my glove box for the next time I pop out for groceries or something. There are many kinds, shapes, and colors available that are small and sturdy enough to fold up and carry in a small handbag without taking up a huge amount of room. There is no reason not to do this. It should just be part of your every day routine, like brushing your teeth or recycling bottles.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I hate stupid people too! And I admit, I still use plastic bags at the grocery store, even the one that has stopped giving you the choice between paper and plastic. They kind of sigh when I ask for plastic and have to reach under the counter for them. But I have what I consider to be to pretty good (though not perfect)reasons. 1. It takes me 3 times as long to carry my groceries in when they are in paper bags, and with kids running in and out of the door this just isn't good. 2. I would have to buy like 40 of the reusable ones to fit all my groceries in. Excuses, excuses, I know. :( But one of these days I will decide to stop polluting the earth and get on the bandwagon. (Gee, that was a lot longer than I planned on it being!)

Jane Pierce aka zJayne said...

Thanks handmade...thanks for sharing the link to my Paper or Plastic-No Thank You T-Shirt bags available on Etsy. I so enjoyed that article when I first saw it too! You rock!

Amazingly too...I learned this:
It takes as much petroleum to make 14 plastic bags as it does to drive a car one mile.

I hear ya Amanda, I raised 4 children... may I suggest just trying 2 or 3 bags at first to get the feeling for how easy they are to carry in and out too.

HandMade Goods said...

It certainly doesn't hurt to try!

If you toss one or two into your purse when you hit the grocery store it will make a difference [saving at least a paper/plastic bag or two, maybe more] and get you in the habit of doing so.

My dad used the "we buy many groceries at once, what, do I bring 10 bags with me?" excuse too, and I said yes! Why not?

They're more sturdy than the ones they give you at the store [eliminating the need for the double-bagging thing], they're washable, they usually hold up better against sharp box corners and stretch to accomodate more items than plastic or paper. That, in and of itself, could mean less trips out to the car to bring them inside. Plus, it will teach your children that this is what we do, and why we do it, so they will grow up to be amazing, recycling adults! What a nice world that would be if everyone did that! :o)